A fire broke out along Zhongzheng Road in New Taipei’s Zhonghe District at 3:00 this morning, forcing the evacuation of more than 280 people. Authorities noted that no injuries were reported.
Thanks to the quick reaction of residents, the fire department was immediately called and fellow residents were notified to evacuate the building. When the fire department arrived to assist in rescuing residents, they found that the building was empty, Apple Daily reported.
The fire started on the second floor of the building on a mattress. Authorities suspect it was arson and are conducting an investigation. The fire was contained within 4 ping of the room, so no significant damage was done to the building.
Community members said that the apartment was rented by a young couple for the last six months. Residents suspected the couple of smoking ketamine, but no one alerted authorities. They also suspected that the woman intended to jump off the roof of the building, but when resident broke down the fire door to rescue her she claimed that she was only sunbathing.