Three workers at United Microelectronics Corporation’s (UMC) Southern Taiwan Science Park facility in Tainan were rushed to the hospital after an air conditioning pipe burst while undergoing maintenance on Tuesday morning, Apple Daily reported.
During maintenance of the air conditioning system, an employee poured too much caustic soda into the system, causing the pipe to burst and exposing some staff to the chemicals. Three people suffered injuries, including a 37-year-old man who was hospitalized with burns to his left eye and upper body. He reportedly suffered burns to 30% of his body.
Southern Taiwan Science Park administration said that the accident occurred at about 10:20 this morning at UMC’s FAB 12A manufacturing facility. The workers who suffered injuries were not wearing protective gear such as masks and goggles.
UMC implemented decontamination procedures following the accident and the fire department was dispatched to assist.
Injured employees were transported to Yangkong Chi Mei Medical Center (永康奇美醫學中心). The other two injured employees had minor burns to their eyes and were discharged.
The science park has initiated an investigation into the accident to determine whether UMC should face penalties for violating operating procedures.