Child Nearly Electrocuted in Taipei Department Store

Photo courtesy Shin Kong Mitsukoshi website

A six-year-old girl was nearly electrocuted at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi department store on Nanjing West Road in Zhongshan District last night, Apple Daily reported.

The girl was playing beneath a watch display case on the second floor at around 8 pm when she received a 110-volt shock. The girl’s brother alerted their parents and she was rushed to Mackay Memorial Hospital. Although she regained consciousness after first aid, her kidneys and spine were seriously damaged and she was admitted to the intensive care unit. Other than blinking, she is non-responsive and there is a possibility of paralysis.

Shin Kong Mitsukoshi department store yesterday admitted that showcase wiring was faulty and will take full responsibility for the accident. The display case was set up by a third-party vendor from Hong Kong. The department store has reportedly removed the display case and is inspecting others for potential danger.

The parents have filed a police report for criminal negligence, which could carry a sentence of one year in prison.

UPDATE: The girl is reportedly in stable condition and has been moved out of ICU, according to CNA. She is expected to recover. The father said that she is able to speak as of last night.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply