Six people were injured on Sunday afternoon following an accident with an incense furnace at the 300-year-old Gaoshanyan Fude Temple (高山巖福德宮) in Hengchun Township, Pingtung County.
The accident in southern Taiwan occurred at 4:50 pm when the high temperature caused bricks inside the furnace to collapse, UDN reported. The bricks that collapsed inside the furnace caused the fire to spray outside on the people praying during the Lunar New Year. The Pingtung County Fire Bureau responded to the scene immediately.
Two people were sent to intensive care units. Three men who were burned on their faces, hands, and necks in the accident have already been released from Hengchun Tourism Hospital (恆春旅遊醫院). One other man was transferred to Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital (高雄長庚醫院) with more serious injuries, including smoke inhalation.
The furnaces have reportedly been in use for seven or eight years and bricks were replaced inside last year. The furnaces at the temple are currently closed off. Officials are investigating the incident.